A beautiful 18" Bandsaw built from a Gilliom MFG plan and Gil-Bilt components

I received the following email and photos from Dave Dietz, who offered to share some details from his Gil-Bilt bandsaw build: 

Hi Scott,
I found your blog when I was perusing the internet to find out if Gilliom Manufacturing even still exists. I bought one of the bandsaw kits back about 1982 or 1983. I had read many reviews and the main complaint folks had was the flexibility of the frame being made out of common 2 x 4 lumber and plywood. The suggestion was to use 4 x 4 hardwood with the plywood.

At the time I worked for The Boeing Company, and they had a great surplus sales store. They sold all kinds of excess aluminum, so I decided to make my frame from aluminum plate and a 4-inch square tube for the column. I did also make my own two-speed pulley drive so I had the normal speed for wood and plastic, and then a slower speed for metals.

I started my construction right away, but stopped at the point where I was to make the table. I didn't like their design, so I figured out a new one, and then life happens and kids came along, and I just never got around to finishing it. Fast forward 25 years, and I finally had time to get back to it. Believe it or not, through two house moves I still had all the original parts and plans. Out they came and I finally finished up the saw. It works perfectly and is as stiff and true running as any commercial saw I have used.

Of course, the old original rubber tires had rotted out, so I just bought some urethane ones cheap via eBay and man do they work great.

I thought you would like to see pictures, so I have attached a bunch.

Enjoy!

Dave Dietz (D2)

Well done, Dave!